top of page

Qualified Small Business Stock

Updated: Nov 16, 2019

Question: I heard if my stock is a qualified small business stock and hold for 5 years, I can exclude 100% of the gain up to 10 Million from income when I sell the stock, is that correct? If I gift the stock to my relative, will stock still qualify?

Answer: Qualified Small Business Stock are stock issued by qualified domestic C Corporation, obtained as part of the original issuance and held for more than 5 years. Detailed requirement to qualify as QSBS see IRS section 1202.

If the stock is a qualified small business stock obtained after 9/28/2010 and you can exclude 100% gain from taxes when you sell the stock after 5 year holding period. The exclusion has a 10 million(or 10 times of stock basis, whichever is bigger) limitation(MFJ)

When you gift the QSBS, the transferee is treated as if he acquired the stock the same manner and timing as you. Therefore, the stock will meet the same QSBS requirement and also the holding period starts the date when you acquired the stock.

However, IRS has not make it's position clear whether the transferee has a seperate 10 million gain exclusion or not.

You also need to be aware of possible gift tax ramifications.

If you would like to make an appointment to discuss more, please give this office a call 415-704-8989 or email me at Book a meeting online. More articles see

Circular 230:The articles are for general information only. In accordance with IRS Circular 230 they are not considered tax opinions for purposes of relying on such statements in any challenge of the reporting of the above transaction by the IRS. If a full tax opinion is required certain procedures must be met . Also there is a significant cost for a full tax opinion to meet the requirements of Circular 230.

Recent Posts

See All

Foreign Business in US-Tax aspects.

If you are such a person, this article gives you the basic tax and related issues you need to consider, such as: ·          business structure (LLC, corporation, etc.) ·          registering your busi

Foreign Reporting Traps

You may have filed your FBAR and/or Form 8938 and think you are good to go. But that may not be so. Lawmakers have added many little-known international reporting requirements to the tax code—along w

bottom of page